Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

This year was Avery's first real Halloween.  Last year we were in England, so she missed it.  Last year I think she was too young to appreciate the holiday anyway, so no big loss.  This year, she totally got into it.  By the end of our trick or treating excursion around the neighborhood, Avery had mastered the following phrases:
  • "knock on door" (I would tell her to knock on the door and then wait so she'd repeat the instructions)
  • "trick or please!" (I kept telling her to say, "trick or treat, please", but she would just leave off the treat ... I figure getting the "please" in there was more important than the "treat")
  • "thank you" (upon receiving her candy)
  • "happy halloween!"


I think Avery had just as much fun being at home when other kids arrived to trick or treat out our house as she did when we were out and about.  She would run to the door yelling, "Happy Halloween" or sometimes "Halloween Happy!"  Then when the door was opened, she'd clam up and just gawk at the kids in their costumes. 

I made her a helicopter costume, but we haven't actually put it on her yet.  I plan to do that tomorrow to snap some pictures.  The truth is that I didn't think the helicopter outfit was very practical given her age.  She'd have to balance the propellors on her head and the body isn't conducive to sitting.  Anyway, I ended up buying her a bee costume and she pulled off the bee look stunningly.  I would ask her what a bee said and she'd answer, "buzz, buzz, buzz!"





 



 

5 comments:

Christie said...

Happy Halloween, Avery!

Mommy said...

Super cute costume! So glad she enjoyed the festivities!

Amber said...

Hands down, the cutest bee I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

avery is the cutest bee I have seen. your birth greatgrandmother

Megan said...

Thanks so much for commenting, Ruth! Avery loved her bee costume and had such a good time on Halloween. She still comments on Halloween each day as we walk past the houses at which she went Trick or Treating - so cute!