Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Talent Show

I had my first parent-teacher conference this morning.  Several times, the teacher used the term "easy going" to describe Avery.  The teacher also noted that she is learning to stand up for her rights, which the teacher noted as a good thing given her easy going nature.  When I'm around, I have never noticed Avery not standing up for herself, so maybe she has been more timid when surrounded by adults other than D and me.

Other feedback:
  • Despite only going to school 2 days/week, she slots in well with the other kids and plays nicely a vast majority of the time. When playing outside, she gravitates towards the tricycles and often lets kids ride on the back of the rickshaw-like tricycles. 
  • She can count to 29, skipping just 17 and 21.  I was surprised to hear she can count to 29.  Numbers, unlike letters, are not Avery's current strong suit.  She is very good at counting, correctly, things under 10.  Any higher than 10 and it's a crap shoot as to whether she chooses to continue to count, and whether that count is correct.
  • Each day she's at school, she sits in the book corner and requests various books to be read by a teacher.  
  • She has a longer attention span than many kids her age.  
  • She excels in following the established routine without prompting (e.g. before nap time, the kids gather books for their cots, then take off their shoes, etc).
  • Her verbal skills are very good.
  • She's learning to trust (non-primary) teachers and other adults who come into the classroom.  I got the impression that Avery doesn't have any issue trusting the teachers she comes into contact with on a frequent basis. I liked that the teacher described her as having her own parameters for judging whether she can trust an adult.  I don't know whether Avery's teacher wants to her to be more trusting, but I am very pleased that she makes her own judgments of adults. 

All of this feedback is great, but the overwhelming impression I got from the teacher is the one I also feel of Avery: she's a happy, social little girl with an enthusiasm for life. 


The teacher also told me about a day a couple of weeks ago when Avery arranged for a talent show among her peers.  The teacher said they've not talked about talent shows, so she assumed she got it from me.  Avery and I haven't talked about them, so I assume she saw it on TV (maybe Angelina Ballerina?)  Regardless, Avery knows what they are and set it up in the corner of the classroom.  She set up chairs for everyone to sit in, then directed the other kids when it was their turn to go.  I wish I could have been on a fly on the wall when she was arranging this!

The teacher also showed me a picture of Avery and her best school-friend, Lily, building a huge crown out of the magnetic blocks.  Avery and Lily are like two peas in a pod when it comes to their love of dress up, princesses, and castles.  I was impressed at the teamwork it took to build the crown, but not surprised they chose to build such an object.

Avery will switch schools in September.  She'll be attending her new preschool for the next two years.  Instead of two full days, she'll go five half days.  I took her for a trial day at her new school a month or so ago.  She loved it so much she didn't want to leave.  If all goes according to plans, her best friend Elise will also be at the same school.  Though Avery and Elise will be in different classrooms since Elise is a grade older than Avery, they'll get to play together at recess.  Elise's mom and I are not going to tell Avery or Elise about them going to the same school just in case something changes, but I do so look forward to Avery describing how she found Elise during the first recess.  I don't know how long their close friendship will survive once they're both attending kindergarten/1st grade in different schools, but for now, I'm so very grateful that Avery has such a close childhood friend.

No comments: